The naming of Tommy Thompson as Interim President of the University of Wisconsin System, just days after Jim Johnson of Alaska withdrew from consideration,...(read more)
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
1313 Belknap St.
Superior, WI 54880
- County Info:
- Douglas County, created in 1854 from a previously unorganized territory, is named after U.S. Senator Stephen Douglas. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Superior.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,309.3 sq. miles
- Water Area:
- 170.78 sq. miles
- 642 ft. at Superior
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 14,113 acres (22.05 sq. miles)
- Amnicon, Black, Bois Brule, Eau Claire, Middle, Moose, Nemadji, Ounce, Pokegama, Poplar, St. Croix, St. Louis, Spruce, Totagatic, Upper Tamarack
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior, St. Croix River (South)
- Geographical Province:
- North: Lake Superior Lowland; Central and South: Northern Highland
- Southeast: Northern hardwoods, jack pine and red oak. Southwest: Jack pine, red pine, pin oak. West and West Central: Aspen, northern hardwoods, white birch and balsam fir. North: Balsam fir, white spruce, white pine, aspen, white birch and grassland. West: Aspen, white birch, black spruce, tamarack and cedar.
- 1930: 46,583
Amnicon State Park, Douglas County; Photographer: Maureen McRaith